Tuesday 5 March 2013

Maybelline Rocket Volum' Express Mascara

I bought this mascara despite reading some rather negative reviews of it and will admit that I too was a little disappointed when I first tried it. I was initially attracted to the brush as I quite like the chunkier, plastic design and have got on well with the Avon Supershock mascara in the past which has a similar brush. The first couple of times I tried this it came out really thick and clumpy, and the more I tried to work it through and comb my lashes out, the worse the got! I ended up looking like I had only 5 eyelashes, not a good look! I have since practised with this and have seen a vast improvement in the results!





I tried this both over eyelash primer and on bare lashes and I have to say that I prefer the effect on bare lashes! I also think that it works better with just one coat as the formula is already quite thick to achieve the volume it promises. The picture below demonstrates this as the one on the left is with primer and the right is without. The picture underneath shows my rather straight and short naked lashes (apologies for the lighting!), so you can see it makes a real difference to both length and volume! 




The only criticism I have now is that the brush can be a little clumsy if you're used to something smaller (and, like me, tend to get it on your eyelids!) but a little practise soon solves this issue. Also, the mascara is quite difficult to remove as it is so thick, however the results are worth the effort and the staying power is brilliant. This mascara did not crumble or flake at all during the day and my eyelashes didn't drop as they sometimes do! Overall, I was impressed with this and am glad I persevered to overcome my own (and others!) disappointing first impressions!

3 comments:

  1. I am wanting a new mascara and liked the look of this one but im kind of steering away now after reading so many negative reviews on it xx

    thesecretblogger1830.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you find this difficult to wash off? I read reviews saying that is and was curious if it's easier to wash off with a primer underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I found that it takes a little more effort than other mascaras to remove (still easier than waterproof though!) but for the length and volume it gives I really don't mind as I haven't had these results from any other mascara I've tried so far. Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete